Tuesday, January 12, 2016

Goodbye to Everyone's Starman

I don't think the music world will be the same this week after the shock news of the passing away of David Bowie. 

He was Ziggy Stardust.

He was the Thin White Duke.

He was our Starman.

I grew up with his strangeness on the radio and loved every minute of it - even when my friends thought it wasn't the most in music around, and they went off and listened to Bros and other boy-bands. I stuck with my favourites I'd known since I was young:

The Cure
U2
The Police
Pink Floyd
The Who
Queen...

yes the list goes on... but I loved my English bands as well as my Aussie bands and US bands. But David Bowie was a musician who struck a certain chord in me I couldn't tell anyone about. It's like looking at a painting and finding something in it that nobody else can; and yet you're the only one who can see it.

However, I think everyone has this feeling with Bowie's music at some point in their life. 

And David Bowie wasn't just a musician, he was an actor as well. He was the Goblin King in 'Labyrinth' and played a very serious role in 'Merry Christmas, Mr. Laurence'.

However as with any musician or artist, David Bowie's work is what he will be remember by the most, as well as the things people knew about him. He was a left-handed person, who played the guitar right-handed (I noticed this in a film clip from 1972 of 'Starman'). And he wore just about anything in that decade and coloured his hair a collection of colours too. He also had one blue eye and one darker eye - which wasn't really true. The pupil in left eye was permanently open after something happened to it when he was a teenager causing it to stay open like it has for the rest of his life - otherwise he had blue eyes. He also loved to read as well. I will miss him horribly, as we all will. But he's joined the other great legends up there in the clouds - Jimi Hendrix, Elvis Presley, The Big Bopper, Buddy Holly, Jim Morrison, Janis Joplin and any others who have left us here too soon. But the difference with David was that his work was completed; and he was ready to go there. Listen to his work, enjoy is music and remember how great he was, and will always be. 


1 comment:

  1. David Bowie wasn't the only celebrity passed over in the same week. If I can recall I think I heard seven people died in one week.

    ReplyDelete