Saturday, December 19, 2015

Christmas Holiday Volunteering

Man! This week has been so busy I just don't know where to start! 

Wednesday, I was out the door by around 8am or so to do my shopping and home well before midday. I had bought absolutely everything I'd ever want for the fortnight - and a few things I didn't think I'd need, but got anyway (as you never know over this crazy time of year). 

Thursday, I went out again to buy the small things I forgot; like my prescription medications. Yeah, I forgot them. How typical of me to do that... honestly, I did forget them. Then, I bought other stuff which was going to be used over the weekend - hopefully - and if not, I'll use it next year.

Yesterday, I was out and about again to look for a bookstore I've been meaning to look at again. But I found out it was closed. Oh, jeez! It was a great bookstore too - Cumquat Books was the best bookstore around Annerley and I wanted to go there again before the year was out. I was told by the person who owned the vintage clothing store that's there now, that the owner retired from the bookstore arena. This is a difficult thing to do - to retire from selling books... it's like retiring from being a Librarian, you kind of never leave the field because your love of books never really goes away. But the previous owner felt she was getting too old for the game; and I could understand that.
But I was put onto another bookstores around Mount Gravatt. It was the Mount Gravatt Bookshop. It's not far from the Mount Gravatt College of TAFE and I didn't know it was there; and this store has been there on Carrara Street for over 25 years. What a great place! It's in a such an unsuspecting place too - in a line of shops off the main road. Lovely!

Today, I chatted to the caretaker of my unit/townhouse complex. We haven't talked about things around the place for a long time; and so I thought to see what was what around (as a long-time resident, I do have the right to have a good chat with him) here seeing the party season was upon us now. Last year, a neighbour a few doors down had over a week of parties which kept half the complex awake and nobody liked him very much. This year, I'm hoping that doesn't happen. If it does, I'll be back to writing to the Body Corporate and seeing what happens, and not being able to sleep because of it.

Oh... yay... how... fun...

Well, I went to my volunteer work today at the gallery and it was empty. There were no phone calls, and I bought my future SIL's Christmas present. I hope she likes it. Anyway, it's been a week of being full-on, doing full-on things and all I want is next week being able to kick back do nothing, sleep a full night's sleep and just work on my garden (yeah, I wish! My hand isn't fully healed yet). Otherwise, I'll see how I go with the new craft work I'm hoping to get done before the next markets in February. So, how's your Christmas preparations going? Have you finished your Christmas Shopping, card-sending and everything else yet? Well, until my next post, take care, stay safe, Merry Christmas to you all and remember, I'm always here.

No comments:

Post a Comment