Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Cleaning Out - Little by Little

In January, I jumped right in and did a big chunk of cleaning out in this house.  My wheelie bin was filled to the brim every week and I was working hard at getting my place looking good.  I worked through the bedroom, office (twice!) and and then the bathroom.  

However, time has moved on, and it's been a month or so and I've found that my clutter has gremlined on me again... yeah, gremlined.  It's mulitplied on me.  Somebody put a few drops of water on my Mogui and it multiplied - or did it find food after midnight? - I'm not sure.

Anyway, I'm working on getting things that I've had sitting around fixed up, given away, hung onto the walls or just sorted out.  
And today, I made a few good decisions to get into that frame of mind again, and I'm proud of this.  Over the last few days, I've been working through my wardrobe, putting away clean laundry and making sure I have enough clothes to see me through Winter - and that I'll wear them all.  I tried on all my jeans, track pants and other clothes and found out out that a few of the jeans I had didn't fit.  So, I tossed them into a bag to take to a charity.  Then, there were clothes in my painting clothes drawer which were falling apart (and I mean, they were really, actually falling apart), so I sorted through the ones that were, threw them into a bag and threw them out this morning in the bin for bin day.
This morning, I was putting on the make-up to go out shopping and noticed that my shower caddy (you know that thing which hangs off your shower rose which holds all your shampoo and conditioner?  Yeah, that thing), well, it was looking really worse for wear, so I went to K-Mart and bought another one.  But instead of buying the same size, I bought a small one for $5.00.  There's only me here, and I'd rather not be tempted to clutter up my shower with other crap than needed.  It looks great!  

The house doesn't look that much tidier, but it does feel as though I've done something.  Even though I've only done a few small things, those small things have made a lot of difference.  I still have a long way to go until this de-cluttering thing does make its mark on my home.  

Honestly, I didn't know I had so much crap sitting around my house - not until this year.  And I didn't know I was so unhappy about it until I started doing something about it.

So, are you cleaning out your house?  If so, how's it going?  For me, I've noticed that de-cluttering is a marathon, not a sprint.  you do it in little bits and not one big haul... it takes time and eventually, you'll get through it all, and everything does have a place - and for the stuff you want to keep but it doesn't have a place?  Well, there's a time to sort through it all.  Until my next post, take care, stay safe and remember, I'm always here.

No comments:

Post a Comment