Friday, February 28, 2014

Respect

This morning, I heard on the news on Triple M about two teenaged girls who boarded a Gold Coast bus yesterday and they physically and verbally abused an elderly blind Aboriginal man.  Until tonight, I hadn't seen the footage - and it brought me to tears.

What happened to this man was horrible; and he wasn't the only one who was abused.  On the video uploaded online, a woman with a pram was called names as well and she was cursed at by these teenagers.  The passengers on board were shocked at their behavior and the visually impaired man tried to fight off their abuse, but was overpowered by them.

This is disgusting!

I don't give a rat's arse who gets on a bus - and I've caught plenty of buses in my years of not driving a car - but having a bit of integrity and dignity about yourself is one of those things that everyone is expected to have.  Abusing fellow passengers is not.  You don't go around abusing the crap out of other people - I don't care who you are, how drunk you are, where you've been, how you're dressed or anything else about you... you could be a Hollywood legend on the Silver Screen and if you insulted me, I'd tell you where to get off; simply because you don't have the right to insult me.

These girls have been caught since and charged because the visually impaired man pressed charges against them.  And you know, I think that the more young people take responsibility for their actions in their lives, the better human beings they'll grow into.  

Now, I rebelled when I was younger - but I never ever did this kind of bullcrap.  I don't have a criminal record, have never been arrested for anything and never got into any fights with anyone.  Sure, I got close, I was usually standing up for myself or somebody else - and that takes courage.  That was something the people on the bus had - to push the girls off the bus and keep that elderly gentleman safe until they could get him some help.

And the name of the game here folks is respect... pure and simple.  If you don't respect others, how are you going to receive respect from them?  You don't demand it - you earn it.  That's how my family taught me.  Until my next post, take care, stay safe and remember, I'm always here.

No comments:

Post a Comment