Sunday, September 1, 2013

Twenty-Four Hours

It's Father's Day, and a lot has happened in the last twenty-four hours that has made it a totally different day to what it was yesterday.  Yeah, I know that it's like this every day... each day isn't the same as the day before.  But before we get too philosophical about it, I want to tell you guys what happened to me yesterday; as it really did change my life.  

I went out driving.  I had a few things to get done, pick up and drop off, then I had to check on Mum and Dad's house before I went to the Kingston Butter Factory to see if I could get my Crafty Pegs sold in their shop there.  Seeing my Aunty Lu has two large sections of their store with her craft gear, and she's seen my pegs, she suggested I try their store out.  Even the Logan Art Gallery suggested them.  However the lady who oversaw the craft items sold said no.  She gave me some bull-crap story about the 'economic climate' and that anyone could paint up the pegs.  I told her that it took me 3 hours to do 4 pegs.  She didn't believe me; so I took my nicely wrapped pegs home, unsuccessful in my attempt in selling them.
I was depressed, sad and seriously bummed-out that I hadn't been able to sell anything.  And what really got up my nose was that the lady at the Butter Factory had told me that the weekend markets would be a better place for my pegs.  However, the renting of the stall alone would kill off my prophets and I would never break even.  So, I was back at square one again without even trying.
When I arrived home, I had a headache, it was hot, and I jumped online to tell my friends on Facebook how my day went... I don't often put up anything about how I'm feeling, but this time I did.  Then, one of my friends - a writer - suggested I start a business online with Facebook.  So, I did!  It was so simple!  I created a photo album of the pegs and invited all my friends to 'like' my page and so far, there's 16 likes and 17 people talking about my product!  

This is so very cool!  

And I haven't sold anything yet!

I am back to painting pegs again just last night as my Tennis Elbow has settled enough to let me hold something in my right hand.  I've got 3 set of pegs ready to sell, one of my friends has hinted that her Mum's birthday is coming up and she likes pastel colour (so I'll be starting on those tonight) and then there's another 2 dozen pegs that are varnished and 1 dozen that aren't.  Phew!  I'm ahead of myself, but then, I have to be right now.  So, if I keep myself ahead of schedule, I'll have enough pegs painted and ready for whoever wants them.

Now, it's been a little over 12 hours since I created Mozette's Crafty Pegs on Facebook and I'm stoked!  I've been accepted by people and I didn't have to leave my home to do it!  And I didn't have anyone making lame-arse excuses about 'economic climates' or that my pegs are 'too crafty' to be sold.  I'm doing this my way and people like my work.

And like I said, it's Father's Day.  I think my Dad would be downright proud of me for not taking no for an answer and digging my business heels in doing what I know is right - and that is going ahead and being the best I know I can be.  So, Happy Father's Day, Dad.  I've begun a small business of my own and it started 24 hours ago.  Until my next post, take care, keep safe and warm and remember, I'm always here.

2 comments:

  1. Wish you good luck with your new endeavour! If the word of mouth continues to grow on Facebook, your small business should do well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I've just been notified that 'Crafty Pegs' has become a Community Page... how very cool is that? I'm stoked!

      Mum and Dad now know about it and are thrilled I've taken it upon myself to start my own business when nobody else will accept my product. :D

      So, there's Dad's Father's Day gift... me starting up this page and getting on with an online business where I can make my own money. :D

      Delete