Monday, November 9, 2015

NaNoWriMo

It's been a busy month already as my car broke down, I've not been well last week (but am better now) and we've had our first storms for the Summer. 

And the best thing is that National Novel Writing Month has started up and this year I'm taking part! So far, I've written more than 6,000 words and most of that is on my phone - which my Dad seems to think I'm fiddling around online with. He asked me yesterday if I've got FOMO... and that was only because he'd only just learned about what that meant in the newspaper that moment. I said no, that I was writing a book for NaNoWriMo (which I had to translate for him). He doesn't understand why I was writing it on my phone, and doesn't understand why people would be challenged to write a 50,000 word book in a month; but I guess that's just him. Being a writer, I love the idea to be challenged this way.

Anyway, not everything is about the written word. I'm also cleaning up the house for next week, and so far, I've conquered the kitchen completely! 

Yay!

I bought myself a new dish drainer and it's completely changed the way I wash up and how everything dries out. It's a double-decker one I bought from a kitchen outlet store where you buy all the bits to build a kitchen from scratch - it's an amazing place on Compton Road - and I have been saving up money for this for a few months an I am happy to have been able to afford one that cost around $50 and is sturdy enough to last me around a decade. My last one was from IKEA and it lasted me around a decade too, but I'm going to scrub that and recycle it for something else.

Anyway, the only things that need to get done until next week are the bathroom and toilets, the floors downstairs need vacuuming and washing and the lounge room needs to be tidy; as Mum might need to sleep on the fold-out. I also have to make sure the sheets for the fold-out are clean too.

Mum is coming here to help me over a few days later on this month as I'm going into hospital on 26th, November to get some sun cancers taken off my arms. It'll be day surgery and I'll need somebody to take me there and back home... also it'll be just a matter of having somebody there to help me with laundry, a bit of shopping, washing up and putting out the rubbish or heavy lifting around the place... nothing too much; until the stitches heal in the first few days. I'll be going under Twilight as these aren't as bad as my Melanoma was in 1996, but there's more than two of them, and they have a blood supply, so they will take time to do.

Otherwise, I'm hoping to get some things done this week, like find a new washing machine - seeing mine has had its day. The timer is broken and if I stop and start it, I'll just break the gear box in it. I've said to Dad it's not worth fixing as I've already spent over $250 in getting the service guy out over the last couple of years here - spending another $100 on it isn't worth it. Besides, the last guy who was here looking at it, advised me to just get another machine when it stuffed up again; that it was on its last legs. And when you think about it, my washing machine hasn't failed me since I bought 13 years ago. I've used it weekly - sometimes more - to do my laundry and it's always done its job no matter what. It's been a good little machine; and it's the timer on it... I can't complain about it breaking now, why would I? And what is the cost of another washing machine? $500 - $600? If I start fixing it now, I'm going to putting money into a machine I could be spending on a new machine.
But until we get a new machine, I'll be going to my parents' house to use theirs on a weekly basis - which is a bummer as it's taking me out of my routine of doing my laundry here. Yesterday was funny though: I showed up at their house at 7:45am and they were still in bed. Dad did say to be there early so I could get it all done - which I did - and he asked how many times I do laundry, I said weekly and he said, 'Oh, okay, you'll have to come here every week then.' I just hope not for too long.

Yep, this is has been my week; and the reason why you haven't heard from me for a few days. So much going on and not enough time to tell you all. Until my next post, take care, stay safe and remember, I'm always here.

No comments:

Post a Comment