Tuesday, July 22, 2014

I Finished My Grandma's Glory Box

Yes!  I finished it!  And yesterday it came home with me!  I'm so pleased it's turned out the way it did!  And it fits everything in it that I hoped it would - including cushions and some pillowcases that I wanted to store inside there.

And this gave me a chance to get my wardrobes organised too - and so I did those too!

I moved all my sheets down one shelf, my jumpers and Winter stuff from the top shelf to where the sheets used to be and then put the large vintage suitcase from my main wardrobe to the vacant space up top!  It took up the whole space, so nothing else can fit up there - not what I had hoped for - but then that doesn't matter.

I then moved my large, long pillow and boomerang pillow up where the suitcase used to live and they fit perfectly.  
Then, the sheets got a doing out... it was good because I don't use a lot of the sheets in there anymore and it'll be good to get rid of what I don't need.  All the ones I put into the hallway ended up in a large rubbish bag and in the boot of my car to drop off to the RSPCA World at Springwood.

Once I looked around and found that the Glory Box had everything I had hoped fitted in it (the orange quilt, cushions, some little stuffed animals who sit on my bed when I make it and Boomerang Pillowcases), I slotted in the shelf Grandpa had made for the box and put all my gloves inside that and found I had room for other things too - but I'm not sure what yet. 
Then, I looked around and realised that if I wanted to fit in another few pieces of furniture - which I do - the Glory Box will have to go on the end of my bed.  So, I moved it carefully to the end of my bed and found it looks so much better there!  And it's not as big as I had pictured in my head!  

But man!  It's such a pretty piece!  I love it... honestly I do.  I loved fixing it up, and I'm sure my late-Grandma Killips would totally happy to know that one of her grandchildren fixed it up to look like this... to make sure it lived on for another fifty years or so. And you, know?  My niece, Riley will be getting this Glory Box when I'm no longer around... and I'm sure she'll love it as much as I do.  So, what have you got in your family which is an heirloom that has been passed down through the generations and you've finally been able to received?  Do you still have it?  If so, how old is it, and is it still in reasonably good shape to keep on display?  Until my next post, take care, stay safe and remember, I'm always here.

Oh... and here's a photo of my Glory Box:

Grandma's Glory Box - then and now

No comments:

Post a Comment